May 29, 2010

Why "Piggy" Banks?


My often wondering mind (yes wondering, not wandering) came across "piggy banks" recently. I'm a sucker for a cool looking coin eater; proven by my Ghostbusters Stay Puft Marshmellow Man bank currently gobbling up my loose change.

I asked myself, "Why 'piggy' bank? What's the significance?". When myself didn't have the answer, naturally i turned to my good friend Wiki. Here's the info:

During the 11th to 14th centuries in England household jars and containers were made of a hard clay called "pygg clay". The currency of choice during the time was coins (probably because bills could be counterfeited easily). Naturally, since banks didn't exist, people would store their coins in these pygg clay jars. Eventually, the term "pygg jar" evolved into "piggy bank". And now, kids have a place to store their $0.85 before they hear the ice cream truck coming and ask mom for the other $1.15 to get a Bomb Pop.

No comments:

Post a Comment